Students Learn Valuable Techniques In Time Management Presentation

Design of a hand holding a clock

Andrew Krause, Staff Writer

A time management presentation was held in Marian University’s Administration Building on Wednesday, Sept. 28, by Sue Fuerbringer, an academic advisor in the Center for Academic Support and Excellence (CASE) office.

The 50-minute presentation stressed that different time management strategies work for different people and that there is no universal strategy that should be adopted.

Some potential techniques mentioned include using smartphones as planners, using a traditional paper planner, and using a white board.

However, since some people don’t like using calendars or planners due to feeling constricted, it was recommended that a legal pad or list might be most effective for those people.

“There are a lot of things in life that aren’t fair or even,” said Fuerbringer, “but time is even.” No matter the time management strategy, everyone gets the same 168 hours during the week to plan out their obligations.

In addition, Fuerbringer stressed the importance of making a weekly planner and said that even though it takes time to fill out, it allows students to see every hour of the day, realize when they have study time, and become accountable for their own use of time.

During the presentation, students were invited to fill out planners and schedule out their study time, class time, and work schedule. It helped students see where improvements could be made to their existing schedules and where productivity could be increased.

Prioritization was another topic covered in the presentation.

According to Gianna Sen-Gupta of The Huffington Post, “feeling overwhelmed often leads to procrastination.” Fuerbringer’s presentation reaffirmed that point. It was recommended that students shouldn’t overwhelm themselves with tasks. Instead, prioritizing large projects into manageable sections is seen to be most effective.

Fuerbringer suggested to regularly review a planner so it “gets engrained in our head” and to use a comfortable method in prioritizing tasks.

By the end of the presentation, students came away with techniques and planning skills applicable to any stage in life.

###