Featured Organization: Business Club

Andrew Krause, Staff Writer

Marian’s Business Club has seen times of growth and periods of decline throughout its existence, but recent years have brought increased involvement and awareness within the club.

During the past year, Business Club began hosting all-club gatherings twice a semester. These gatherings have been successful in bringing clubs together to exchange ideas and meet new people while also bringing awareness to Business Club. They usually involve a potluck meal over Sabre Hour in Campus Ministry.

The club has also begun to utilize social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, to further connect with the campus community. Business Club adopted a new logo, designed in-house, for consistency and club recognition, which has been featured on advertising materials, social media and club T-shirts.

Numerous activities open to all students are sponsored by the club, especially activities involving learning and community. In November, Business Club sponsored an experiential trip to Chicago. The club also volunteered at the Business & Industry Dinner, helped at a Pop-Up Fond du Lac chili sale and held a caramel apple sale. Professional development has been a focus as well with portfolio workshops and guest speaking events held throughout the year.

“Business Club provides students with the tools they need to grow their networking, professional development and communication skills,” said Alexis Brekke, president of Business Club. “Students are able to visit businesses and gain perspective on what it is like to be a business professional.”

Another change this year is a new advisor for the club. Jessica Little, marketing Program Director, became the advisor in the fall of 2016 and has prior experience as a club advisor.

More events are on the way, with the fourth annual “The Masters” Mini Golf Tournament coming up on Apr. 10. The club also intends to take an experiential trip to Madison in late April. Another all-club gathering is scheduled for May. For a full schedule of events, see the list below.

ABOUT BUSINESS CLUB

Business Club consists of business majors but is open to all students who are interested in business. It places a special emphasis on learning, networking and community. Common activities for the club include tours of businesses, guest speakers, volunteering, fundraising and on-campus experiential activities.

Executive Board:

President – Alexis Brekke

Vice President – Albert Benish

Treasurer – Robin Grabinski

Secretary – Andrew Krause

Advisor – Jessica Little

Business Club has openings for positions on its executive board next year. Elections will take place at the Apr. 19 meeting. If interested, contact Alexis Brekke or Jessica Little.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:

Mini Golf Tournament 

Monday, Apr. 10

Time: 4:00pm

Location: Fondy Sports Park (N5820 Country Road D, Fond du Lac)

Cost is $3 per person or $10 for a team of four. Sign up in R202 by Apr. 7.

Next Year’s E-Board Election Meeting

Wednesday, Apr. 19

Time: 12:00pm-12:30pm

Location: Campus Ministry

Camp Randall and Kohl Center Tour 

Tuesday, Apr. 25 (Tentative upon confirmation)

Time: 8:00am-4:00pm *Subject to change

Location: Madison, WI

End-of-the-Year All-Club Party 

Wednesday, May 3

Time: 12:00pm-1:00pm

Location: TBD