Impacts of COVID-19 larger than just sickness

Tiera Cobbs, Writer

FOND DU LAC, Wis. (Sabre Voice) – COVID-19 seems to have affected nearly every part of life – and in many ways, negatively. 

Millions have lost employment, and others who continue to work during the pandemic had their hours reduced. This does not account for the untold number of people that fear they could lose their income any day on top of worries of caring for their families and keeping them safe and healthy, according to a report from MSN 

Because of this rise in unemployment and underemployment, people are struggling to stay in their homes, and food pantries are seeing an increase in the number of people lining up for meals. A “record number” of people are at risk for eviction, according to MSN.  

In the early months of the pandemic, the Department of Health Services said the number of people applying for food share benefits increased by 129%, according to Channel 3000. In cities like Madison, Wisconsin, the St. Vincent de Paul food pantry has served 30% to 50% more families each day, the May 2020 article stated. There are also many people that are behind on their mortgage and rent.  

One fear for families during the pandemic is how their students are going to learn. Due to schools being closed, many kids are having a hard time completing assignments or understanding the content. “The fortunate ones are doing schoolwork on laptops and tablets, but others are trying to learn lessons over cellphones, and too many lack online access”, according to MSN.  

These stresses are causing many people to see an impact on their mental health. “The number of people with anxiety and depression has hit perilously high numbers. But millions do not have the health insurance they need for quality treatment” according to MSN. 

Contributors 

Dewiit, E.,Ladyzhets, B. (2020). How COVID-19 has impacted everyday life in AmericaMSN. https://www.msn/en-us/news/us/how-covid-19-has-impacted-everyday-life-in-america/ss-BB17W39m