Pandemic Brain: How is COVID-19 affecting children’s psyche?

Finnigan Hoppens, Writer

FOND DU LAC, Wis. (Sabre Voice) – Children learn so much by just going to school and interacting with peers. 

Children start school generally at the ages of 4 to 5, and when they go to school, they interact with their classmates, friends, teachers, and possibly their friend’s parents. They want and can talk to everyone they see, and they learn from these interactions. They do this so often that they don’t even know they’re building social skills. What they are learning is how to behave, throw tantrums, and pick up social cues.  

But during the pandemic, when interactions are limited by quarantine and social distancing, how are children building these skills? Psychologist and Marian University Professor Dr. Amy Hennings said that from experiencing nature to using technology, there are many ways for children to make connections. 

Quarantine can build anxiety in children, according to Kurtz PsychologyIt is very important to watch for, because it could lead to low self-confidence and slow growth in cognitive abilities as children get older 

Therefore, it is important that parents communicate with their children on how they are feeling and make sure that they are continuously practicing different ways to communicate with other people. It can be very easy to completely forget or break focus on making sure that children are mentally healthy. Complications can arise with work, school, or finances — factors which can interrupt a family from making sure that they stay mentally strong through these difficult times. 

There are simple ways to build these techniques, including: writing letters to friends and family, holding a conversation on Facetime or Zoom, and going to parks with friends while practicing social distancing, according to Business Insider. These practices can benefit children in the future, so they aren’t struggling or suffering with the inability to socialize.  

Hennings said it is crucial children go outside and experiment with nature. During this pandemic it’s a perfect time for kids to go outside and learn about nature. The pandemic offers an opportunity for children to go outside and learn about nature. Hennings said that children should be outside for at least an hour a day and have a parent or sibling with them as it helps to build motor skills.  

The world is forever changing for the better, Hennings said. Children are growing up with phones, laptops, desktops, and watches that can call people. While many adults in the business industry struggle with these new pieces of technology, children adapt and through the devices are building basic technology skills as well as knowledge of how future products may work at an early age.  

With this access to technology, is the access to education. In this day and age, people can read thousands of articles on many different subjects, like sports teams, science, and how to fix things. This is can be very helpful to young parents and young children, as they try to survive and learn from dealing with the current pandemic.