Number one on Netflix: “Tiger King:” Murder, Mayhem and Madness

Tanner Chester, Writer

FOND DU LAC, Wis.  (Sabre Voice) – As COVID-19 hit the United States, and mandates caused people to remain in their homes, people looked for ways to occupy their time — and escape from reality. Enter “Tiger King,” a series which drew millions of viewers to the online streaming platform of Netflix, and inspired controversy, conversation, and several memes.  

The docu-series put together a ridiculous run of 27 consecutive days atop the Daily Top 10 charts—a feat that no other show on Netflix has come even close to matching. In total, Tiger Kingmade 50 appearances on the rotating list this year—and came out on top as the most popular show on Netflix in 2020. 

Marian University students were some of those who pounced on the Netflix hit.  

“Since this whole COVID-19 thing happened I have started watching way more Netflix recently. One particular Netflix show that I really enjoyed was the Tiger King series,” Cole Grossen said. It really helped me take my mind off the real world and let me enjoy having a good laugh for once.”  

Among the eccentrics and cult personalities in the stranger-than-fiction world of big cat owners, few stand out more than Joe Exotic, a mulleted, gun-toting polygamist and country western singer who presides over an Oklahoma roadside zoo. Charismatic but misguided, Joe and an unbelievable cast of characters including drug kingpins, conmen, and cult leaders all share a passion for big cats, and the status and attention their dangerous menageries garner. But things take a dark turn when Carole Baskin, an animal activist and owner of a big cat sanctuary, threatens to put them out of business, stoking a rivalry that eventually leads to Joe’s arrest for a murder-for-hire plot, and reveals a twisted tale where the only thing more dangerous than a big cat is its owner,” the Netflix description reads.  

According to Daily Top, these shows are joining “Tiger King” in the top 10 list of shows most watched since the COVID-19:

10. Cobra Kai 

9. Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich 

8. All American 

7. The Office 

6. Love is Blind 

5. The Umbrella Academy 

4. Avatar: The Last Airbender 

3. Outer Banks 

2. Ozark 

1. Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness 

Despite the draw of “Tiger King” and other series on the Top 10 list, they were not enough for all Marian University students to spend their quarantine streaming Netflix.  

I have always loved watching Netflix. When COVID-19 hit the world I kind of got sick and tired of watching Netflix. I felt like I had watch everyone on it! This made me realize just how much of my time I use to watch shows on Netflix,” student Finn Maloney said.