Marian students spread awareness of human trafficking

McKenna Hron and Martin Vu show the small packages given out to Marian University students to spread.

Martin Vu, Co-Editor-in-Chief

FOND DU LAC, Wis. (Sabre Voice) – There is a common phrase that says “small things make a big difference. This is demonstrated though Marian University’s Social Justice Committee and their two-day event on February 25 and 26 that focused on spreading awareness about human trafficking.  

As a collaborative effort with the ENDIT movement, Marian focused on the idea of “Action Starts with Awareness. On February 25, students gave out the small packages that contained facts and information on human trafficking and online dating created by Associate Professor of Social Work Brenda Stueber 

Human trafficking is “the recruitment, transportation, transfer, harboring or receipt of people through force, fraud or deception, with the aim of exploiting them for profit,” according to the United Nations Office on Drugs and CrimeAs of 2019, it was believed there were 20 million to 40 million people who are victims of human trafficking throughout the world, however, many cases go underreported, according to DoSomething.org 

In addition to the information, each bag had a blue ribbon  the symbol used for human trafficking awareness — and a cookie. These bags were sealed and safely distributed to abide with Covid-19 safety concerns. Throughout the morning and afternoon, the students in the Social Justice Committee walked around campus and continued to spread awareness about modern slavery. 

On February 26, a virtual presentation was given by the 5-Stones organization. With the five words “awareness, education, prevention, networking, collaboration,” on the organization’s home page, 5-Stones Organization focuses on increasing awareness on human trafficking as well as decrease demand for commercial and prevent victimization. However, their main target audience is youth and communities in Wisconsin. 

Connecting with both the ENDIT movement and the Five Stones Organization allowed for a successful even both on and off campus. These combined small changes will help lean towards a bigger difference.