The case of the stolen eSports equipment

Martin Vu, Co-Editor-in-Chief

FOND DU LAC, Wis. (Sabre Voice) – When a new program is created, new opportunities are presented. Marian University’s eSports team is a new edition to the variety of sports and activities that Marian offers. However, a new program allows for new problems. While it had very few hiccups, about two weeks in, the eSport experienced its first problem: equipment going missing from the eSports room.  

Marian’s eSports team started in the spring of 2020, with Danny Duchaj, the head coach, and Jason Bartelt, the athletic director, beginning a new program at Marian University. 

The overall idea of the eSports industry revolves around competitive gaming, according to CNN. From strategic games to shooting games, the eSports industry hosts it all. As this industry rapidly grew, Duchaj knew he had to take advantage of it.  

He requested and was granted a gaming lounge for the team in Stayer Center room 124, which consisted of multiple gaming computers and equipment. This was a huge success and a giant leap for the team. With games such as “League of Legends,” “Rocket League,” “Overwatch,” and “Valorant,” Duchaj was building a great program. 

Nevertheless, all great things experience some hardships. Sometime on Wednesday, February 17, Duchaj entered the Marian gaming lounge and was stunned to see missing equipment.  

“I was very shocked that someone would do this to a brand-new program. The eSports program is very supportive of other sports and it is a great space where tons of different people from different backgrounds can come together as a collective group,” he said. 

When he found the items were gone, he called campus security and they “immediately began an investigation along with the Fond du Lac Police Department,” he said. 

As the investigation continues, the items and equipment that was stolen cannot be shared at this time. However, Duchaj and security have implemented ways to prevent this from happening again. 

Duchaj and Marian Security have asked that anyone who knows any information on this incident, email [email protected] or [email protected]. Anonymous tips can be given at https://my.marianuniversity.edu/forms/Pages/Anonymous_Tip.aspx 

Any information that strengthens and leads the investigation to the return of the items receives a $250 reward.