Sammy’s Bring Smiles

Gus Walker

On Thursday, April 21, the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) organized an award ceremony to honor the hard work that Sabre student-athletes have dedicated to their sports.

SAAC is made up of student-athletes, providing other Sabres with different experiences, insight, and opportunities. In the past, SAAC has organized the event, “The Sammy’s is a tradition for Marian University, but we have not been able to do it the past couple of years due to Covid-19,” said SAAC member and baseball player Caleb Dohms.

SAAC also promotes sporting events throughout the school year. The event was held in Sadoff Gymnasium, with a red carpet preceding the ceremony. Many athletes participated in taking pictures and eating great food. Sabres also dressed in formal attire, making for a fancy night.

There were many awards, including male and female athlete of the year, scholar-athlete of the year, best team GPA, and a sportsmanship award, to name a few. There were also some more humorous awards, such as most accident-prone.

Student-athletes nominated for the awards were appointed by coaches, then the winners were voted for by SAAC members, as well as coaches. Taking home the female athlete of the year award was Jenna Betts of the women’s bowling team. On the men’s side, baseball player Sean Meyer won male athlete of the year.